Thursday, May 14, 2009

Light Summer Recipe- BLT Salad!

So, this week we've been taking Zoe to a Vacation Bible School at a local church at 6:30 in the evening. So this isn't normally a problem as we aren't really busy in the evenings nor do we really stick with a schedule, but the one thing we do stick with in the evenings is eating at 6 together as a family at our dining room table. Now this is something that I've been a real stickler on. I love eating together and making the most of "family time" by eating together- no tv, no phones, no distractions!! As studies show, families that eat together raise kids that are less likely to get involved with drugs, alcohol, get bad grades, become stressed out.... They are also 40% more likely to talk to their parents about a problem... the list goes on and on. So really I'm setting a foundation for the rest of our childrens lives I hope! But all this to say that since I'm such a stickler on dinner together we have to eat dinner earlier- about 5 pm, which is pretty early for us, but we don't want to rush our time together so we'll make do as it's really only a week anyways and we are already pro's at this since we just did it for 2 weeks straight with swimming lessons. So I've been trying to think of easy and quick dinners. And since it's summer and getting warmer I thought I'd try a lighter-cooler dinner for this evening and today I'll share my recipe. I'm not an expert chef by any means and I'm not above using my resources online to find great recipes. I love http://www.allrecipes.com/ and http://www.kraftfoods.com/ Both are great! Today my dinner recipe comes from Kraftfoods. It's called BLT Pasta Salad. It takes about 1 hour and 15 minutes to make and most of that time is just refrigeration. So you boil about 7-8 oz of macaroni, drain and mix with 1 tbsp mustard, 3/4 mayo (light is great!), halved cherry tomatoes, and 8 oz bacon (crumbled). Mix it all together and refrigerate for at least an hour and then serve over a bed of lettuce! It's a great light meal for those warm summer days! So, enjoy and let me know how you like it!

No comments:

Post a Comment